Pages

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fondue à la tomate




Cooking and baking are a couple of my favorite hobbies.  So, you will see many posts here on food, dining, cooking and baking.


This winter, for the first time, I prepared a "fondue à la tomate".  It's cheese fondue with tomato sauce and it's usually eaten with boiled potatoes.  The original cheese fondue, which can be made with different types of cheese including Gruyère,  is one of Switzerland's national dish.  It's also well-known in France.  And, it's eaten with bread.


I was introduced to this warming, comforting dish when I visited Switzerland the first time and loved it.  I love cheese.

Here is what I did to prepare this:

In a caquelon (the pot made for preparing cheese fondue) heat the tomato sauce.  It has to be plain tomato sauce.  But, basil tomato sauce can be used if we don't have the plain one.  I added black pepper to the tomato sauce.


Then add 400 g of cheese fondue (for 2 people) or 800 g (for 4 people).  I used 800 g.



Mix the cheese well with the tomato sauce while it's melting.






I served this delicious fondue with potatoes, bread, and dried beef meat (eaten by most Swiss).  During this meal, a person should avoid any cold drink.  So, I served warm herbal infusion/tea.








If you come to Switzerland you should plan to try this.  It's sooo delicious.  Perfect during the cold weather!!!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...