Pages

Friday, July 8, 2011

Gluten-free, lactose-free: a baking adventure

This week, I baked a lemon cake with gluten-free flour and lactose-free butter but the result was not so tasteful.
The cake was not as moist and fluffy as I expected it to be.

I realized that it's probably due to the type of flour I bought.  

On the package it is stated that it's great for crêpes, pasta or a sauce thickening agent.  However, I didn't notice it until last night because on the front of the package it is stated that the flour is great for all culinary applications.

I went to another shop and bought another flour mix from the same brand and will try again the same recipe to see whether the result will differ.

There is a third flour mix from the brand that I did not find in the shop but seems to be right for cakes.

In the USA, I could just walk to Whole Foods or some health food shop and find any ingredient I need for baking gluten-free desserts but here, in Switzerland, it is a lot of work to find certain items (not just food...everything!!!) and the ones I finally find are too expensive.  (This is one of the reasons why I miss New York so much and why I buy from international online shops).

Now, let's bake!  Results will be posted soon.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...